Tuesday, October 2, 2007

No really, it's up to you

You may have heard already. Radiohead is releasing a new album soon. The relevant detail is that they never re-signed with EMI and have not signed with a new record label. What does that mean? For starters, they are distributing and selling the album themselves over the internet. Pretty revolutionary step in the music industry! A step that record labels must be hoping fails.

What makes this even more interesting is the fact that you are able to name your price for the download! Did I mention this is a double-disk album? And did I mention that you can pay $0.01 for it if you want? I'm almost too excited to even consider what I will enter as my purchase price. I mean, on the one hand, I don't want to be a dick and pay a penny. On the other hand, would I get a copy of it from a friend anyway?

buy it here:
http://www.inrainbows.com/Store/Quickindex.html

read some nytimes commentary here:
http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/01/radiohead-album-price-tag-its-up-to-you/?hp

Pretty exciting stuff!

No comments: